[meteorite-list] (No More) One-Ad Per Week Rule

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:23:12 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 10/14/09, Jason Utas <meteoritekid at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid at gmail.com>
> Subject: [meteorite-list] (No More) One-Ad Per Week Rule
> To: "Meteorite-list" <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
> Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 8:18 PM
> Hola All,

> But if you can't enforce it, and people won't follow it, it
> doesn't
> make much of a rule.?

Overall, I don't have a problem with ADs. That is until they become excessive. At that point the advertiser may see results that are the opposite of their intentions. That is, they can drive buyers away from, not towards, their business...

I snipped out one sentence from Jason's post for a reason. The rule can be enforced, but only by one person. That person is the list owner. If that person (on this list or any other) chooses to enforce or ignore the stated rules of their list, that is their prerogative. Personally I leave administering a list to the owner and find that when others complain and complain, that is more annoying than the ads themselves.

That being said, one has to ask, "What constitutes an AD?" Every post I've made to this list from this email address has my photography studio's name and URL in my signature. Maybe that is not an overt ad, but I certainly hope others will take note of it, visit my site and perhaps purchase a print from me.

I'm under no allusion that other posts that contain a url in a signature or elsewhere are not advertisements too. Nor do I think that when a post shows it comes from "XYZ Meteorites" instead of a person that it is innocent. Of course it isn't. The intention is to keep the name of that company in front of me and others. IOW, its an AD.

In closing, I'd like to ask people visit my website and if you like our images, feel free to place an order... I am very open to trading images for meteorites, so feel free to contact me if you'd like to barter instead.

And, if you contact me directly, I can offer a discount on the price if your order comes to me that way instead of via the order form on my site as my overhead is lower...

--
Richard Kowalski
http://fullmoonphotography.net