[meteorite-list] World's Biggest Impact Crater Discovered

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 14:55:56 -0700 (PDT)

I've got a couple of problems with this article.
They are "hoping" to find shocked quartz and Iridium anomalies after drilling? A 500 kilometer wide crater should have surely left traces or these over large areas of India, not just inside the crater. I don't see any mention of this supporting evidence.

"... but where it does come ashore it is marked by tall cliffs, active faults and hot springs."

Really? 65 million years of continental drift and erosion hasn't blunted these features?

It'll be interesting to see what further study by geologists reveal and if this discovery is correct.
I'm sure they'll be plenty of discussion here and on MPML about this.

--
Richard Kowalski
http://fullmoonphotography.net