[meteorite-list] Grimsby family shows off visitor from space

From: Mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 03:56:51 -0400

Anne wrote:
"If this one is red too........ there will be a lot of red cars in the
parking lot of the InnSuites in Tucson."

Hi Anne, Did one of the Park Forest stones hit a red Jeep? Alas, the
Neagari meteorite hit a white Subaru in Japan in 1995. Since Subaru
means "Pleiades" in Japonesse; that might come into play*? Then there
was the Benld fall which hit a 1928 Pontaic. I think that car was
black, even if by then "you could get any color you want as long as it
was black" was no longer the mantra.

Sterling here's where you can see that the Getafe thing that beamed the
Beamer in Spain was shown conclusively to be some slag:
http://tierra.rediris.es/merge/getafe.html I don't think it is exactly
politeness as opposed to snobbery that has it classed as a
pseudmeteorite. When dealing with BMW's, pseudometeorite is apparently
the scientifically correct term; but when dealing with old Chevy trucks
like my own, folks seem to be more inclined to call it "slag" or some
other 4-letter s-word. The best car smacker of course was Peekskill due
to its good taste in cars ... old CHEVY cars! No Fords have ever been
hit ... huh? well, have they??? Ford/Mercury Meteors don't count,
neither did their Comet. Those were just wishful thinking:-)

I'm not sure we've heard the end of the car calculation yet, but,
statistically, there's gotta be a few meteorites that have hit trucks
that no one has reported. Hits on a ship or two have even been
reported, right? (I'm thinking but not proofing this - Honolulu and
Russia come to mind)? The effective area*fraction of time exposed to
the sky seems trucks would give passenger cars a run for their money.
Maybe the heads of truck repair centers around the country ought to be
worked on to look for meteorite damage.
Ducking from peeved Ford fans and with Best wishes,
Doug
*This really, really begs to have a Mayan connection, but that's
another thread ...