[meteorite-list] Grimsby Fall Trip Report

From: Mike Bandli <fuzzfoot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 21:37:30 -0700

Hello all,

I am having trouble posting to the list from Canada so I am writing through
my hunting partner, Mike Bandli's email account.

We arrived in Grimsby shortly after 11:00 am local time and spent a couple
hours finding our bearings before meeting up with Roman Jirasek on a 20 acre
parcel of land he had secured. After some time spent spot searching we
decided to try a different location and unknowingly found ourselves only a
few feet from Peter Brown's hunting party. Brown and his team are eager and
have been logging many hours using a variety of methodologies to try to zero
in on the fall line. More than happy to collaborate, Brown welcomed us in
and helped us with as much info as the team had regarding the TWO stones
found.

After hunting in that area with no luck, we moved on again and went to the
home of the car smasher and met with the homeowner. Despite all the coverage
and hunting in the area, no one had thought to use a magnet to search for
any more fragments of the stone that broke into several pieces upon impact.
I asked if I could comb it over, to which they obliged, and found 6-7 small
fragments. it was heartbreaking, though completely understandable, to have
to hand them over after finding them.

After a hot meal and a hotel check-in we met up with Mike Farmer and Jim
Strope for a few beers, decompression, and planning.

The locals have all been exceedingly accommodating. The terrain has been
varied to say the least but many areas are huntable and many new areas seem
to jump out on Google Earth so we are set for tomorrow. The two stones found
are so close that they do not represent as line but more a pivot point for
the line so that means 100 yard jumps to try and spot some more as gridding
seems pointless.

Given the hours spent and lack of TKW, it would seem at this point that
export is highly unlikely.

You can view a gallery of our hunt here, which we will try to update
nightly:

http://historicmeteorites.com/HistoricMeteorites/grimsby.html

Off to bed, hope to have more info tomorrow,

Rob Wesel
www.nakhladogmeteorites.com
www.facebook.com/nakhladog
We are the music makers...