[meteorite-list] naval jelly soak gone wrong

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:37:23 -0600

Hi All,
I have a question if I might please. I had put some small (suspect)
irons in naval jelly then neutralized it with baking soda and then
removed them and rinsed them. Then I had wire brushed them with a
small hand held brush. Several pieces came clean and chrome looking
for the most but they still had a couple places where the buildup of
corrosion was still there. So I put them back in with some other
pieces to soak in the naval jelly some more. When I removed them the
second time, I found all three pieces that I had wire brushed once
before were now heavily coated all over again. The coating was blue
and grey crystals looking. I tried wire brushing that off only to
find that now the brushing leaves them looking like they are coated
with oxide again. It is like the naval jelly soak worked in reverse.
The other pieces that I had thrown in the navel jelly soak with them
did not get wire brushed previously and they came out clean. So I
learned don't soak them twice but not sure why exactly. Now I'm
wondering if someone can tell me what will take the new coating off?
Anyone have a similar experience?

Mike in CO