[meteorite-list] "Tucson Show" GPS Poi File [WAS: Tucson Meteorite Auction Catalog now up - call for entries]

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:42:17 -0700 (PDT)

Micheal's post about the meteorite auction apparently jogged a few memories, and I got some private emails about my POI file.

For those using GPS units in their cars to navigate around Tucson during the shows come February, I have created a file that can be loaded into your unit and get turn by turn directions to the various locations.

Included in this file is the location of the Meteorite Auction.

The file can be found on the excellent website "POI Factory" here:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/24678

What this file is:

A file that has the locations, names and addresses and in some cases contact phone numbers for the 42 Tucson shows of 2010.

It is intended to be loaded into GPS navigation units to provide turn-by-turn directions to whatever show you would like to attend.

While it is supposed to be loaded into a GPS unit, it can also be opened in Google Earth.

What it is not:

It is not a file that is intended to be opened with any other programs, though if you want to read through the mark up language, you can open it in any text editor and figure out names, addresses, etc. pretty easily.

It is not intended to printed and be used as a aid to navigate around Tucson using paper maps.

It is not intended to be a shortcut to using a websites like Google maps to input addresses and obtain directions.

It is not intended to be a replacement for the multitude of show guides that are available for free just about everywhere around town.

See you all in Tucson come February and drive safe.

--
Richard Kowalski
http://fullmoonphotography.net