[meteorite-list] collection databases?

From: J. Gregory Wilson <jgregoryw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:09:44 -1000

Hi, folks -

After a brief 3-year hiatus from the list, I have a question - What
database/software programs do collectors use and recommend for meteorite
collections? I had purchased a database program some years ago, I think it
was called MetCollector, but a few computer-upgrades later, I somehow lost
the program and I'm not finding it online any more, unless I'm just not
looking in the right place. I currently have all my collection info saved
in Excel format, so do I have complete records but it's not very "cool" -
it would be nice to have something which allowed for individual photographs
of specimens, perhaps preinstalled info on common stones, etc, more bells
and whistles than just bare-bones-Excel-record-keeping can offer.

As far as shareware, I've played around with the products at
www.primasoft.com and it looks like one could end up with a
meteorite-friendly database, but it might take more customizing-work than
lazy-me might be willing to expend. Thoughts?

  Gregory

    |_______
     |_______|
    I=======I