[meteorite-list] Secret Find/Fall Coordinates andLegitimacy-Someone help me understand this.

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:28:03 -0600

>If one doesn't have the coordinates of one or more
>stones of an interesting or important stone,
>one doesn't know, where to look for more.

Of course. And I recognize the importance of that to meteorite collectors,
hunters, and dealers. But as a scientist, I mainly want a few grams
accessible for analysis. The rest simply doesn't matter- scientifically.

>And with the coordinates of the fragments, you can
>map the strewnfield, determine the strewn-ellipse
>and from there you can deduct the trajectory of
>the meteorid and fragmentation events.

I have serious doubts that this is practical. The paper is interesting, but
I question its conclusions. A strewn field is not very closely related to a
meteor trajectory in most cases. This paper presents a model with no
observational confirmation. And it utilizes a strewn field that stretches
over kilometers. It is rare enough for coordinates to be withheld, and even
rarer, I expect, when dozens of meteorites are recovered over large fields.

To put it more empirically, I have been reading MAPS and other journals with
meteoritical papers for years. I've seen hundreds or thousands of articles
comparing meteorite mineralogy, formation theory, asteroid association, etc,
but not more than a dozen or so papers detailing the orbit, flight
characteristics, and strewn field of meteorites- despite the fact that most
meteorites have well described coordinates and many have well mapped strewn
fields. I honestly don't see the very small number of undisclosed locations
having any significant impact on the science of meteoritics at all.

Of course, I'm not arguing against disclosing locations, only that failing
to disclose the location should not prevent a meteorite from being named and
classified. That would be far more damaging to science.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com