[meteorite-list] Secret Find/Fall Coordinates and Legitimacy - Someone help me understand this.

From: Beda Hofmann <beda.hofmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:11:37 +0100

Hi list

The NWA case clearly shows why coordinates are important. Many paired
NWA's are classified by different researchers (not always arriving at
the same verdict). This makes the situation confusing and, above all,
it is a waste of effort. With coordinates, it would be easy to find
out which stones belong together, and which are not.

I agree that for a scientific study of an interesting special
meteorite, it does not matter much where it was found. But if more of
the same stuff turns up, you want to know if it was found together
with your special sample, or whether it is a different fall.

Best regards

Beda