[meteorite-list] Neutron production in hypervelocity impacts - wasOdessa date

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 21:38:05 -0600

INTCAL98 defines the C14 calibration back 26,000 years. There have been
subsequent calibrations using deposits in caves that push things back to
about 45,000 years, with somewhat less accuracy, and these aren't normally
used in standard C14 dating. What curve are you looking at that goes back
50,000 years?

But it doesn't really matter. The problem is there is no way to connect
changes in C14 levels with any kind of impact events. Barringer is not very
accurately dated, and there was enough other stuff going on around the
Younger Dryas to cause changes without invoking an impact. Note that I'm not
saying here whether one or more impacts did or didn't occur over the C14
data record, only that there is no solid, datable evidence that can be
matched to that record. Given all the possible things that can affect C14
production (and especially C14 uptake), it is almost impossible to use the
record to demonstrate anything.

IMO Barringer is a horrible example in any case, if you believe that
neutrons are produced. For such a small impact to actually produce enough
neutrons to significantly affect the worldwide C14 levels would also result
in very obvious radioisotope anomalies in the surviving iron meteorite
samples, give iron's high neutron absorption cross section. You'd be better
off trying to sell this theory with a collision with a comet or other stony
body than an iron.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory