[meteorite-list] Neutron freeing in large hypervelocity impacts

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 06:17:48 +0100

I have tried to find any sources of the calibrating curve but I always
ends up on a publication server that tells me I have to pay to read the
article.
As you seems to have found it, could you tell me where to find it or
show us the curve and dataset?

The closest thing I found was this quote on
http://scienceweek.com/2005/sc050218-2.htm
"4) Despite these efforts, it remains difficult to calibrate periods
older than 22,000 14C years B.P., because residual concentrations of 14C
in such samples are extremely low (a few percent of the concentration
found in modern samples). In addition, old samples have often been
altered by geochemical processes. In particular, most corals that grew
before the sea-level minimum at 21,000 calendar years B.P. suffered
intense meteoric alteration, precluding their use for 14C calibration.
The only two published reconstructions with satisfactory analytical
precision and low overall data scatter are the Lake Suigetsu record
(4,5) and the Bahamian speleothem (speleothems are cave carbonates such
as stalagmites and flowstones). However, these two records strongly
disagree. Hence, at least one of them provides an inaccurate picture of
the true calibration curve."

Which of the curves do you base your theory on?

How can you trust the dating of the Barringer crater (which seems to be
quite inaccurate) when you think that the dating of the much smaller
Odessa crater is so wrong?

Describe how infra red (long wave heat radiation) could lead to proton
release and how it could be "concentrated in a small enough region".

In which way would protons released create a spike in 10Be?

You have reserved the right of being wrong and I think you are. Whenever
some data doesn't match your theories you try to come up with an
imaginary process that in a magical way will make it fit.
Excuse me for being blunt, but I always try to combat junk science and I
think this is junk science without even an attempt of a proof.

But even I reserve the right of being wrong...

:-)

/G?ran