[meteorite-list] Meteorite Hunters Wanted

From: Phil Whitmer <prairiecactus_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 02:23:15 -0400

Mike:

Your best bet by far is the farmers. Like you said, they'll be covering
every inch of the ground while picking corn, baling stalks, discing,
plowing. Another good source might be deer hunters, they get out where most
people never go. If you go to the diner or coffeeshop where they hang out,
(look for bib overalls and seed corn brand hats!), you might be able to
post fliers. Maybe there are farm organizations you could approach with
fliers. If you can get information to the Amish, they might be willing to
help out. I've given presentations where Amish farmers became interested in
meteorites and said they would search their rock piles for them. The main
thing is to get a picture of a smooth black stone in their heads. Somebody
might spot something. I used to find arrowheads while driving a tractor as a
kid, if you can spot a 2 inch point, then somebody could easily see even a
small meteorite if they were looking for it.

Sounds like you got it covered, best of luck on your hunt, if you find it,
at least around here, it'll be forever known as the "Hankey Stone"

Phil Whitmer