[meteorite-list] Thomas Jefferson & Weston

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 14:41:26 -0500

Right, I was too lazy to go get the DVD and
actually check the lines. Went to the DVD
and you are right (at 1hr 7m into the movie).

When a thing becomes a stereotype or an icon
or a stock cultural reference, it acquires a life
of its own. It's true even if it isn't true; it never
dies and it never goes away.

I saw "Treasure" at a drive-in movie in McAllen,
Texas, when I was nine, my first drive-in movie
and the first time I saw Bogart. It made a big
impression on me, and I've probably seen it
5-6 times since. Still, stereotypes are powerful
mind-altering memes, it appears.

Sterling K. Webb