[meteorite-list] Let's talk about meteorites

From: Carl 's <carloselguapo1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:42:31 -0700

OK, I think I see the subtle difference. I have had to re-read Dr. Rubin's post several times to get the picture (Thanks to MikeG, too). Simplified, an asteroid slams into another planetary body right to the iron core and forms mesosiderites. That part I knew, but when smaller iron asteroids slams onto larger rocky asteroids the surface layer forms the silicated irons. I would have thought that would also form mesosiderites, too. Hmmm. Very interesting.

Thank you, Dr. Rubin.

Carl