[meteorite-list] Slow cooling rate of irons in space

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 01:27:52 -0500

Hi, Chris, List,

    Well, Venus is shrouded in doubts on hundreds
of details. Yes, the core could be "frozen," but it would
require Venus to be of radically different composition
than the Earth. If the Earth rotated once every 224.7
days, as Venus does, instead of once every 24 hours,
I doubt we'd detect much of a planetary magnetic
field from space probes around the Earth either.

    The Russian probes (at least Venera 13 and 14) had
geophysical instrumentation that was able to determine
the bulk composition of those bare black basaltic-looking
rocks the probes sat down on, every though they had only
13-16 minutes to do so before the electronics fried. And
that basalt-looking stuff seems to be... basalt. The bulk
composition figures returned could be any of thousands
of basaltic regimes on Earth -- no unusual features of
any kind whatsoever. Boringly similar to Earth.

Sterling K. Webb