[meteorite-list] What are the odds? or a search for Amarilo's first meteorite

From: Pete Shugar <pshugar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 22:54:40 -0500

While walking to my bus (I monitor the urchins--
opps--make that kids) on their ride home.
As I walked to the bus this one dark stone
looked "different", so I picked it up and promptly
forgot about it.
When I got home, I emptied my pockets and saw
the stone. I grabbed my standard magnet from a hard drive
(I always try to use the same magnet so the results will
be meaningful as a comparison).
It didn't snap to it but nevertheless it was attracted to the
magnet. The stone is black and has many places that
form points of light sparkles as I turn it in my hand.
It is very hard as it took about 5 minutes of good hard filling
to get even a small window opened up.
The window showed metal so the next step is the nickel test
tomorrow. (I hope my supplies are still good after Just sitting
on a shelf sealed in an air tight container).
Any comments on whether they might stay good?
Pete