[meteorite-list] Meteorite Postcards

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:35:27 -0400

Mike,
Your approach is a good one but some slag does not only look like some meteorites but some meteorites look like some slag. The two can in fact have very subtle differences.
To that end I would not leave it up to a farmer to decide. It is well worth the trouble to let an informed observer check them all out.
A lot of impact melts did melt like slag and do look like slag.
The best example is Cat Mountain . This find fooled not only Scientists but Bob Haag himself. The reason is that it was so severely shocked that even on a broken surface the interior is as dark as the fusion crust. And what if it happens to be an IMB like Cat?
Cat also showed no metal grains or chondrules until cut open. So, It really can require an expert to check them out.
If you shoot this list photos I'm sure between us we can narrow down the prospects. After that we also have some fine meteoriticists on this list that can take it from there.
If you have "The Robert Haag "Collection Of Meteorites" "private Collection Edition" page 87 shows a nice picture of Cat MT.
Good luck to you.
Carl
PS if you don't I will shoot you or anyone else a picture off-list.

Carl or Debbie Esparza
IMCA 5829
Meteoritemax