[meteorite-list] Largest known intact stone meteorite?‏‏ (first post/testing)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:37:48 -0500

Hi, Graham, Melanie, List,

    Actually the photo is of the excavation of the largest
Jilin fragment. Back during the Carancas discussion of
whether the "hole" there was a crater or an impact pit,
I looked up all the "landings" of heavy pieces for some
comparisons, including Jilin. The Jilin "hole" is not a
crater. Jilin is not even an impact pit. Jilin is a hole
6 meters deep and less than 2 meters wide with the
long rectangular stone embedded nose-down below
the bottom of the hole. They had to dig out a crater
to get to the stone.

    Here's the top of the original hole (large picture):
http://www.planetarium.montreal.qc.ca/Information/Expo_Meteorites/Agrandissements/fiche_agrandissement_63_a.html

    Here's the excavation afterwards (large picture):
http://www.planetarium.montreal.qc.ca/Information/Expo_Meteorites/Agrandissements/fiche_agrandissement_64_a.html

    You can see it's a vertical shaft, not a pit, not a
crater in the classic width/depth ratio of 3:1.

    If a stone does not fragment, it will be a "ground
penetrator."

Sterling K. Webb