[meteorite-list] Lost impacts at AGU

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 16:13:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dirk -

In 2005 the Congress instructed former NASA Administrator Griffin to establish a detection program down to 150 meters. JPL prepared the report, as instructed. Griffin then refused to supply it to the Congress. (Essentially it was the same as the NRC report released about a month ago, but without the spin.)

It appears that Weiler and Morrison supported Griffin in doing this; there were no comments even off the record indicating otherwise.

>From what I know of them from earlier interviews, their reasons for doing so were that Weiler did so because he did not think the job was NASA's, and Morrison because he consistently has underestimated impact frequency, as for him comets do not hit. The fact that the detection assignment went to JPL instead of Ames and Arizona may also play a role here.

In any case, if Weiler or Morrison have changed their views it is long past time for them to have expressed them publicly.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas