[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day -September 14, 2009

From: al mitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:59:44 -0400

Hi Steve and all,

Not sure how fast the Sikhote fall came in at but it was a very low altitude
breakup and probably had quite a lot of it's cosmic velocity at impact so
the meteorites may have impacted at a fairly high velocity. I am sure that
someone has some statistics based on the fall which left over 120 impact
craters.

Some of these _may_ have been pretty warm and might have charred trees due
to the friction of embedding themselves. Seems like they would have done
more damage as you suggested though so maybe there are some other factors
(dynamics) to consider. Best!

--AL Mitterling