[meteorite-list] Chicxulub Asteroid (Black Holes, Gravity, Lightspeed...)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 12:10:55 -0500

Hi, Steve, List,

> the event horizons are so small it would require speeds
> faster than light for them to suck any new matter in.

    The definition of the "event horizon" is that it is like
a "surface" whose escape velocity is equal to the speed
of light. (Actually, it's a leeetil more complicated if the
black hole is rotating or charged or both, creating an
ergosphere of multiple horizons, blah, blah, but we're
not going there.)

    It is gravity that creates the black hole. General
Relativity predicts, and the universe has demonstrated,
that gravity exerts a force on EVERYTHING, including
light. The Eddington 1919 proof of Relativity, the first
proof of the theory, showed that the powerful gravity
of the Sun bends light rays that pass near it.

    At the event horizon, the force of gravity is so
strong that a photon of light heading straight up
away from the black hole at the speed of light is
standing still ! If you find that hard to picture,
don't worry -- it's impossible to picture. So, let's
try.

    Ignoring the quadrillions of gee's tugging on
you, picture yourself standing on a big black ball
with a flashlight pointing up. You turn it on and
nothing happens. You look down into the flashlight;
there's a pool of photons in the bottom of the lamp
housing. You tilt it slightly and some photons pour
out. They drip down in an arc and fall back to the
surface like water.

    Of course, this is all physically impossible but
it's what the photons do. And -- just "above" the
event horizon -- time has come to a near standstill.
AT the event horizon, time IS standing still. Just
above the event horizon, a second lasts for a trillion
years... to an outside observer. All because of gravity.
And one final craziness -- not only does gravity exert
a force on light (and everything else), it even exerts
a force on ITSELF ! Now, that IS crazy. But true.

    About this time, you're saying "Heck! You're
crazier than those aliens I've been talking to. What
have you been drinking?" Nothing but water, friend.

    The "speed" of expansion, now, is only a speed
relative to us. You're mixing up old Newtonian
absolute space speed and Einsteinian speed of one
frame of reference relative to another frame of
reference. The "edge" of the Universe isn't an "edge"
at all -- it's a perfectly normal place -- if you were
there instead of here. And if you WERE there instead
of here, then "here" would be the edge of the expansion
of the universe. The "edge" is just the limit to the
portion of the universe that we can observe.

    All because the universe has a Speed Limit. We
don't need Relativity Cops -- this universal speed limit
enforces itself ! There are these signs everywhere:

            "Speed Limit:
            Speed of Light.
            It isn't just a good idea --
            IT'S THE LAW !"