[meteorite-list] Strange Rock Reports

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:47:43 -0700

All:

I would say it's not that cut-n-dry. I have found highly weathered meteorites that do not look like the ones Sterling has posted. I agree that the ones Mike posted they are most likely slag and definitely are not from a fall, but you never know. I like to keep an open mind.

Most of the meteorites I find on Lake Beds have no fusion crust, are often fractured or broken so they have sharp edges. Even a few are very weakly attracted to a magnet due to oxidation. I found one and it looked just like a piece of dark red jasper. When it felt heavy and stuck to a magnet, I knew it was a meteorite.

Good luck Mike and keep at it.

Greg S.