[meteorite-list] Strange Rock Reports Decrustified Meteorites

From: JoshuaTreeMuseum <joshuatreemuseum_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:11:53 -0400

Listerians,

I get the feeling that some folks feel that fusion crusts are
indestructible, or are unfamiliar with crustless meteorites. These stones
are from 5 different NWA falls. The stone that looks remarkably similar to
Mike Hankey's slag can be seen next to a crusted piece from the same fall.
Of course the Hankey Stone meteorites would have fresh black crust. If
Mike's slag had come from NWA instead of PA, I would be inclined to think
it's a meteorite. If you put these in the bright sun, the metal flecks and
chondrules are plainly visible.

As to how or why these stones were involved in a process of decrustification
if beyond me. Maybe it was an extra thin crust. Something about the
silicate materials? Maybe the crust was eaten up by tiny black holes, maybe
the spawn of Cygnus X1?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z126/tboswell/a.jpg?t=1253217247
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z126/tboswell/b.jpg?t=1253217282
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z126/tboswell/c.jpg?t=1253217307