[meteorite-list] LARGE COMET GIVES BIRTH TO SMALL COMETS

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:47:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sterling -

Oh Joy! - more junk which needs to be watched out for, which NASA will continue to ignore.

While the explosive scaling laws are tough and rough, and I've had a stroke, my best current guess is that cometissimals are around 30 m diameter or so, based on the Rio Curaaca and Rupunini impacts.

(Tunguska would be 2 cometissimals accreted.)

With age the cometissimals further accrete/condense, depending on the time of their first agregation, which times appear to have a considerable spread.

Another fragmentation mechanism besides solar energy may be nearby supernova radiation, which perhaps also provide injection energy.

Maybe, appears, possibly, but certainly no one gets any money from NASA to work it out.

Would someone fire Weiler now?

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas