[meteorite-list] Orange Dust

From: Mike Hankey <mike.hankey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:34:25 -0400

This report came from a farmer. I don't have an answer for it (its
probably BS), but I wanted to throw it out there.

Guy is in the area. He had some meteor wrongs. While I was there, he
said he had noticed a strange 'orange/rust colored dust' that showed
up one day covering the top of one of his large gardens. It was a
pretty huge garden and there was orange dust all over it. Most of it
had washed away by the time I got there, but there were still spots
that had it. I took a sample but haven't done anything with it.

Guy said he has been farming the same land for close to 10 years and
had never noticed it. I talked to his Dad too, and he said he farmed
for 50 years in the area and never noticed something like that.

Is it possible this could be meteor dust? I know this is a long shot.
Maybe its just something in the ground and they never noticed it until
they heard about the meteor. Just wanted to know if anyone had ever
heard of anything like this before / if something like this is
possible.

Thanks,

Mike