[meteorite-list] Nickel tests

From: Fries, Marc D <marc.d.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:42:02 -0700

I've also had mixed results with the nickel allergy kit, but I think I've
figured out how to get reasonably reliable results.

I think the problem is that the companies who make these things probably
have liability lawyers telling them to err on the side of false positives
(which won't really cause them trouble) rather than on sensitivity (which
might put them in court defending against a false negative result). This
means that false positives will occur.

You have to liberate nickel from the sample to detect it. Weathering can do
this for you, which means that you might not detect nickel in a fresh sample
face, especially for a polished iron meteorite.

So here's what I've found that seems to work:

- start with the unknown sample and a known meteorite - an NWA unk will do
as long as you are sure it is a meteorite
- place a drop of vinegar on both samples
- wait five minutes, so that the acid will dissolve some nickel
- do the nickel test on both drops of vinegar
- wait five minutes, and don't get excited if they're both red at first
- compare the results

In the event of a false positive, the swab will start out red and then fade.
The known meteorite should stay red. If they both stay red and look about
the same after five minutes, you've got a good case for nickel in the
unknown sample.

That's my take; I'm certain there is a lot of experience out there on this
topic.

Cheers,
MDF