[meteorite-list] question on cleaning irons

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 13:33:41 -0700

Hello Guido, All,
Regardless of how well you cleaned your Nantan, whatever you found
under the surface was not flow lines. The material you removed from
the surface of your iron was a good portion of the exterior of the
meteorite itself; you were likely centimeters below the original
surface of the iron. Some Campos still have fusion crust, though it
is very uncommon. At least many of them haven't been corroded badly
enough to drastically alter their morphology. Nantans have been so
weathered that there's not much of a trace of their original surface
shape remaining, to say nothing of fusion crust.
Regards,
Jason