[meteorite-list] OT eBay (was AD Time to get back to work)

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 04:44:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Eric,

I Googled the term auction sellers fees and found this page:

http://auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/charts/chart.pl?Auction_Site_Seller_Fees

Scanning through it, it seems that most auction sites charge anywhere from 1.5% to 5.5% commission to the seller, plus either a listing fee, a transaction fee, or both.

Following the online payments link at the bottom of the page, it looks like most of the online payment services are in the same ballpark fee-wise as PayPal. I know credit card companies in the US charge retailers a 1% - 2% fee too...

I'm not being critical of you comments, and agree lower fees are better than higher ones for sellers and buyers, but I'm curious what auction houses charge in general. Its been a long time since I've gone to an auction in person, but I know that they usually charge seller fees AND buyers fees, so they get paid by both sides of the transaction.

Maybe to provide some perspective, Micheal Blood can comment about auction house fees?

--
Richard Kowalski
http://fullmoonphotography.net