[meteorite-list] Buzzard Coulees strewn field size ?????

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:56:51 -0700 (PDT)

Carl and List

What was that answer he gave? Also do you have a list or know where one is of the size of the strewn fields and a plots of where meteorites were found of the last 40 to 100 years for falls? I mean I would think something would exist from all the people in the list taking about how important it is to record there findings, right? No its not an April fools joke, but it could be one hahahah :) but its a real question and it would be interesting to see if there is a correlation in the size of the strewn field with the size of the meteorite and the type of the meteorite and class. This would be an "average" to see if patterns could be seen in the last 100 years with the falls in the USA.

Good example would be wethersfield meteorites. In both cases the meteorites are from the same class L6, both are small in size and I think both only resulted in a single stone. Claxton is an L6 at 1455 grams and I think its a single stone as well. Could there be a pattern in the type of class the meteorite is if it breaks up and if so which classes break up easier. and from the classes and the break up is there a connection in the size of the strewn field to the size of the meteorite of the amount of meteorites recovered? This would only include observed falls :)

It would be interesting if there is a data base that has information on falls and the amount of meteorite fragments recovered and the size of each fragment and where and how big the strewn field was. Why I ask this silly question is because it could give scientist or meteorite hunters a better understanding on how meteorites break up in entering Earths atmosphere and which types break up and at what size they break up at. And from that they could also see how big the strewn fields could be from the resulting size and class of that meteorite.

Shawn Alan