[meteorite-list] Eureka - we've found it!

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 12:33:40 -0700

Eureka!

Greg S.

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalnews/Eureka--we39ve-found-it.6195465.jp

Eureka - we've found it!

Published Date: 01 April 2010
By Staff reporter
by Sue Doherty
They say hill-walking is a rewarding experience. Well, for three members of the Bluestack Ramblers, that could prove to be a massiive understatement.

Bernard McGlinchey, Anne Leonard and Maureen Cannon were out hiking last Saturday when keen-eyed
Anne noticed a rock that looked strangely out of place in the woods. The same thought occurred to all three at once: ?Had they stumbled on the meteor that streaked through the skies over south Donegal on Febuary 3??

More than 1,000 reported seeing the fireball, which was said to be brighter than the moon, as it travelled in a southerly direction from the Bluestacks across Donegal Town and beyond.

The trio took some pictures and removed the rock to a safe location.

?We e-mailed the pictures to Daniel Less at Meteorolgy Ireland,? Bernard explained. ?Although he obviously couldn?t make a definite confirmation just by looking at the pictures, he says there?s a very good chance this is, in fact, a stony iron or iron meteorite.

?The plan now is for us to travel down to Athlone this week with the rock, meteorite, or whatever it is, so that a full analysis can be carried out.?

Maureen added: ?We?re trying not to get too excited about the whole thing until we know one way or another. We?re not saying exactly where we found the rock, either, because we wouldn?t like to spark off a run of people looking for meteorites there.?

If the object turns out to be a genuine meteorite, it could prove to be of considerable worth - whether cultural, scientific or financial. So, if you see Bernard, Anne or Maureen walking around singing Catch a Falling Star and Put It in Your Pocket, Save It For a Rainy Day next week, you?ll know exactly why!