[meteorite-list] golden iron color and Widmanstätten" patterns

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 18:18:34 -0400

Aziz,
 A simple specific gravity test ( bulk density) might answer this question whether it's an Iron or a Winonaite or a meso or ?.
The SG should be between 7 and 8 if an Iron. Something less if something else. Mesosiderite would be around 4-ish. And pallesite just under 5-ish.
All you need is a scale and some water to check. And best of all no cutting or waiting time. Please do let us know.
Very amazing piece. Black and Gold crust? WOW.
Carl
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax