[meteorite-list] "Meteorite and meteoroid: New comprehensive definitions"

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 11:08:14 -0600

I agree. There's no reason that "meteoroid" and "asteroid" can't overlap, as
well. That is, all meteoroids are asteroids, but not all asteroids are
meteoroids. A meteoroid is simply an asteroid (whether a few centimeters or
a few kilometers) that is destined to pass through the atmosphere. (A
complete description would be a little more complex, but you get the idea
<g>.)

I also encourage a slightly broader use of "meteorite", by extending the
term backwards in time to the point that the body is actually finished
developing. Thus, the material that survives ablation or other entry
processes should reasonably be called meteoritic during the period it is
falling (cold), but before it actually makes contact with the ground. That
distinction probably isn't important to most here, but to somebody like
myself, focused on meteors as opposed to meteorites, it is useful to have a
term like that, and I don't think we need something new.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com