[meteorite-list] The Slovakian Fall

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 01:57:25 +0200

Hi Mike,

that would answer your question.

Nevertheless, I think, we have to be careful with such third-hand
information.
Slovakia had only 5 meteorites (2 falls, 3 finds) in 7 generations,
consequently that there would exist a law handling meteorites is very
unlikely, if not absurd.

We have to discern whether the reported statement reflects a real law or
whether it is only an interpretation of a law, to prevent more finds or
finds made by others than the searchers from the university.
You know from that quality, that a mining law, a law about archaeological
items or a vague law of natural objects of scientific interest (which could
be interpreted also to cover your toenails' clippings) was overstretched by
some juristic laymen (hence hearsay, as it happened e.g. in the poor-quality
MAPS-article of Schmitt/McEwen regarding Switzerland).

Or whether there does exist indeed a law explicitly mentioning meteorites.

(Which would be a great curio and a good laugh for Slovak laws students)

If so, it would be nice, if maybe Spurny or another list-member knowing the
language could give the wordings of that law here on the list?

...well and else, if the Slovaks desire some larger main masses, they know
where to address to - to the meteorite-list, where the best hunters are
found.
That method has proven to be the first choice for tkw-multiplying of the
European falls and finds of our decade.

;-)
Martin