[meteorite-list] Signal Mountain (IVA), Baja California

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 09:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Easter Sunday afternoon Moni Waiblinger and myself were hiking in the Yuha Desert near Ocotillo (just north of the US-Mexican Border) when the M~7.1 earthquake struck south of Mexicali. You couldn't be any closer to the epicenter and still be in the US. Needless to say, this was the strongest earthquake that I've experienced.

But what I saw AFTER the quake was equally amazing. Clouds of dust were rising up from most of the canyons in the nearby mountains, the result of rock-falls and possible landslides. The mountain to the south of us in Baja (which I call "Signal Mountain") was covered in a cloud of dust. Images of this phenomenon were shown on the local San Diego TV News stations (still looking for a link of this image - my images were too obscured by dust).

I'm wondering where the Signal Mountain iron meteorite was "actually" found, and whether these recent rock falls might possibly unearth additional masses of this iron? -- Bob V.