[meteorite-list] Sun Eats Another Comet

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:30:37 -0700

Hi Rob, Thanks...

;) Point taken... Your point about the sungrazers is a perfect example
of what I'm referring to. I was being more general in my question about
comets. Specifically the Kreutz comets couldn't be the first (maybe
first observed), nor the last to be obliterated by the Sun. The term
"smashed into" was not accurate, but artistic license. (I can say that
since I'm not a scientist) ;) Certain freedoms...

1000 years is a long time to humans, but cosmologically speaking it's
not even a blink of an eye. Could we deduce that given the number of
comets (or sungrazers) that have been discovered and observed in the
past, could we apply this number going backwards in time and figure the
number of comets that have been swallowed up by the Sun, or is there
just not enough data?

Congrats on your Kreutz comet discoveries!!! Awesome!

Oh yeah, how big are these comets, and how come we didn't see them
"before" they were gobbled up?

Regards,
Eric