[meteorite-list] Museum investigation: 'Probably a rock, not meteorite'

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 02:36:09 +0200

Hi Jason,

it was only an example, that in different countries exist different legal
conceptions regarding meteorites, and I chose it, because anyway there exist
almost no court decisions about meteorites. (Was btw. ruled according
Austrian law, cause found in Austria).

>Generally speaking, most countries...

Dunnoh. I'd rather suppose, that from the 200+ countries a majority hasn't
any laws regarding meteorites, simply because they are too rare and falls
and finds happen there not often enough, that the legislative would care
about such exotic stuff or would be able to spell the word meteorite.

Nja well. Jason, my opinion is, that the data of the Bulletins as well as
the 1st-hand figures we hear in such forums like here from finders, leave
only a very narrow room for interpretation
and for finding out, which methods are adequate and which are less adequate,
if a country wants to get many new finds and falls into their national
collections or more globally seen for new meteorites being (I almost wrote
"staying")available to research.

Preservation and protection....

Sure this position has a good logic:

What hasn't be found, that can't be lost.

...but whether it makes sense, is another question, which not all will
answer in the same way.

Well, I think during the last years, we discussed that topic here on the
list at length, from all points of view, en detail and in general,
and absolutely exhaustively.
Different opinions were explicated, many different solutions were suggested.

I think, I can now retire from that complex.

Anyway, the future is not in our hands.

Maybe I'm only to pessimist and chapfallen from these new prohibitive
meteorite laws in many countries of the recent years and the decline of
meteoritics in some countries, where restrictive laws were for a longer
while in force...

...but we should rather enjoy all our new thrilling recoveries,
as long as we're still allowed to do that.

And who knows, perhaps there are some people with more influence than we all
have, who are worried in the same way....and in the end a good way will be
found.

Well in that hope,
this shall have been my last posting about heavenly bodies and their
terrestrial ties :-)
Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----