[meteorite-list] UW has meteorite fragment

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 12:15:03 -0700

I wonder how many more will be found?? Very cool.

Good luck to everyone out there, and be safe.

Greg S.

http://www.wrn.com/2010/04/uw-has-meteorite-fragment/

UW has meteorite fragment

by WRN Contributor on April 16, 2010

It was more than just a meteor in the sky Wednesday night. That today from Professor John Valley of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Geoscience Department, who confirms meteorites have been found. ?Samples have been located in southwestern Wisconsin,? says Valley. ?We?ve been studying a sample that was brought in by a landowner west of Madison.?

What does it look like? ?The piece we have is very small, about the size of a peanut,? Valley says. ?It is on the outside a dull black, matte black finish, which is the fusion crust from when it became very hot falling through the atmosphere.? On the inside are snow white crystals about the size of a pea, in a matrix that is gray. Valley hopes anyone who finds a piece will turn it over to the Geoscience Department. Valley has been with the UW for 28 years and has never seen a real meteorite until now.