[meteorite-list] Livingston Strewnfield

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:35:03 -0700

Shhhh... That's TOP SECRET info... No one will be releasing that anytime
soon... ;) Really...

To map a strewnfield, you have to know where it is. In other words only
a few stones being recovered doesn't really amount to a "mapped
strewnfield" just yet. We all have radar, and a general idea of where to
look, but meteorites must be found first all throughout the area before
an area can be "mapped". This takes time, especially considering hunters
must establish relationships with the landowners in the field and gain
permission to hunt.

It's only 3 days after the fall and it took months for the Whetstone
Mountains meteorite strewnfield to be mapped. Same thing with Ash Creek.
It took lots and lots of hunters to map both fields, and thousands of
collective hours in the field. Don't expect anything to become public
too quickly, for both the protection of the data, and the hunters
interests in the field.

Classification should come pretty quickly, as tends to happen with new
witnessed falls like this, so we should know the type fairly soon. I
know at least 3 stones that have been found (this is public knowledge)
and have been told by those in the field that more have been recovered,
however, I'm not at liberty to discuss that part, and you'd be hard
pressed to get that info out of ANYONE... ;)

I'm eagerly awaiting the classification news. I want to know what it is!

Regards,
Eric