[meteorite-list] Meteor-wrongs being sold on ebay by listees

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 14:31:26 -0400

Hi Warren, Ken and List,

I will take a stab at this issue.

I buy bulk lots of UNWA stones and I sell them less frequently. I
find a lot of sand-colored meteorwrongs and the black magnetite
meteorwrongs that Ken mentioned. But I don't find the frequency to be
increasing. Part of this is because I choose my sources carefully.

Since I don't deal with unclassified material in great volume (like
some other list members), I can personally go through each stone with
a magnet and a careful eye. I think I manage to cull out the vast
majority of meteorwrongs and I have a growing pile of them in a box.
If I find some interesting meteorwrongs, I will sell them - clearly
identified as wrongs and not meteoritic. I find that there is a
market for wrongs if clearly sold as such to collectors who enjoy a
good meteorwrong - like Plutorano, Shirokovsky, or Mendota.

If I was to sell a bulk lot of unclassifieds to a buyer and that buyer
found meteorwrongs and wished to return them, I would glady accept
them, refund their value and the return shipping.
So far, that hasn't happened.

I would expect that most dealers on this list would do the same if in
a similar situation. To not make the situation right is to invite
disaster. As we all know, the meteorite collector world is a small
place and news travels fast - and memories are long. So while their
might be an endless supply of unsuspecting buyers on eBay, any dealer
who is knowingly passing off wrongs as meteorites and/or not making
that situation right when it arises, is cutting their own throat in
the collector circles.

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG