[meteorite-list] METEORITE DOG FINDS FIRST METEORITE FROM THE APRIL 14, 2010 WISCONSIN FIREBALL!

From: countdeiro at earthlink.net <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:54:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hi List,

I've had the fun of hunting with Brix and his "daddy" Sonny Clary and witnessed how devoted they are to each other and how smart and driven this great German Sheppard is. I've watched Sonny train and work in the field with this super dog. I had my doubts about a dog's ability to scent meteorites...(perhaps Brix uses sight also). I forgot that these animals are used all over the world to scent out inanimate and animate items. Truffles, birds, rabbits, stags, wild boars, people, lost personal items, land mines....so why not meteorites...especially "fresh" un-contaminated ones.

I once saw a Belgian Malanois used by our police department go into a room full of men he had never seen before and immediately go to the one who had the drug test packet (marijuana) sealed in a fresh plastic baggie in his shoe. I was told a dog's nose is 5000 times as sensitive as a human being and can process thirty or more scents at the same moment.

Yeah! Brix. Congrats Sonny.

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536