[meteorite-list] Portion of strewn field being hunted

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:42:37 -0700

Hi Steve,

Jason is correct about there always being far more small stones than
large ones, so the short end of the fall ellipse should have more
distinct meteorites per square mile than the long end. The only
aspect of Jason's post that could be called questionable was his
tentative assumption that hunters have actually been working the
"light" end. (Note that he ~did~ qualify it with "they *may* be
at the light end") As I posted a little earlier, I believe they
are hunting the middle, which is perfectly understandable since
that's where the initial finds were made. When people don't know
the exact trend line, they are naturally hesitant to stray too far
uprange or downrange from known finds. --Rob