[meteorite-list] Volcanic Ash is Magnetic

From: Linton Rohr <lintonius_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:51:33 -0700

Hmm. Very interesting.
I was recently tryring out my "new" metal detector (thanks, Ruben) on our
property in southern Utah and discovered that the "lava bomb" boulders
strewn across the landscape are "hot rocks" and are slightly mag-attracted.
The boulders were ejected from Boulder Mountain and Thousand Lake Mountain
20 to 30 million years ago in a lava flow eruption. They were distributed
around the area by subsequent glacial activity. In addition, I found a great
deal of aluminum foil, and a few bullet casings. No meteorites... yet.
Linton