[meteorite-list] Livingston Strewfield?

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:36:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hey all,

As a non-hunter (except for a couple of unsuccessful attempts) I've been interested like everyone else on the list to hear how the hunt is going and to see the stones as they get announced.

Numerous requests have gone out for maps of the strewnfield and all of them have met with complete silence. That is at least publicly.

That's fine as I understand those in the field don't want to give away "their secrets" but is it really all that secret?

We all know that two were found on the grounds of the Iowa-Grant Elementary School, which is located here:

http://tinyurl.com/25tbdfl

Knowing the inbound track, the towns within the strewnfield, at the very least this location, and that it is calculated that the field is 20 miles or more in length, it surprises me to see that no one is sharing more information on the finds...

My question is, how long did it take before the Park Forest or Ash Creek strewnfields and the locations of the associated finds start getting released publicly?

We know that the Whetstone strewnfield is still essentially "top secret" even though the area has been pretty thoroughly been covered and most who have researched that fall know where the field is.

I'd be interested in others thoughts on how long it will be before people start loosening up on their data points and why there is still so much secrecy about where the finds are being made.

Thanks

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography