[meteorite-list] Odessa Meteor Crater Expert Dies (Glen Evans)

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:59:42 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.oaoa.com/news/meteor-51044-crater-odessa.html

Odessa meteor crater expert dies
ODESSA AMERICAN
August 6, 2010

Glen L. Evans, a prominent geologist who was in charge of exploration of
the Odessa Meteor Crater from 1939 to 1941, died July 14.

He completed a publication in 2000 with Charles "Gene" Mear titled, "The
Odessa meteor craters and their geological implications" in the
"Occasional Papers of the Strecker Museum, No. 5" at Baylor University.

Tom Rodman, an Odessa Meteor Crater volunteer whose family once owned
the site, said he first met Evans in 1963 when the first museum for the
meteor crater opened.

"He came out and gave a talk at our first museum, and he kept visiting
throughout the years he was working on his paper," Rodman said. "We
bought all of Glen Evans' copies of the paper. We kind of have a
monopoly over them, and we still sell the item."

Rodman said Evans' thoroughness and patience ensured that the job was
always done right.

"His research opened everybody's eyes to the fact that the big meteorite
will not survive impact. It's so big that it vaporizes itself.
Sometimes, the speed is so great that at 40,000 mph, air becomes like a
brick wall," Rodman said. "They did not know that when they dug that
165-foot shaft and didn't find the meteorite."

Memorial services are at 7 p.m. today at the Lady Bird Johnson
Wildflower Center, 4801 La Crosse Ave., in Austin.

Evans was born in Clay County and began attending the University of
Texas in Austin in 1934. After graduation, Evans worked as a field
geologist with the Bureau of Economic Geology at UT. In 1953, Evans
joined the geology staff at Louisiana Land and Exploration, prompting
him to relocate frequently between Austin, Midland and Calgary before
heading to Denver and retiring as director of Minerals Division of LL&E
in the early 1970s.