[meteorite-list] Weird inclusion in NWA 2086 CV3

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 20:28:30 -0400

Hi List,

Has anyone ever seen an inclusion like this in a CV3 meteorite? It is
a brown. featureless, area that snakes through the surrounding matrix
and chondrules. I have seen light and dark inclusions in different
carbonaceous meteorites, including Allende, but I have not seen an
inclusion like this one. I cut several fragments of this meteorite
and most had a predominately dark-matrix lithology. One fragment had
a small portion of dark matrix lithology, and a predominate
lighter-grey matrix lithology. It was in this light-matrix stone that
this weird "glassy" brown inclusion appeared during cutting. It
resembles caramel and has a slick texture compared to the rest of the
meteorite. Under the loupe, it appears very fine grained, almost
glassy, like an olivine. It does not appear to be oxidation of any
kind. The inclusion ran through the entire fragment and I have 4
different pieces that show it. Besides this inclusion, there is the
expected mixture of chondrules and CAI's. The pieces shown in the
photos are rough-sawn - no sanding or polishing yet. The pieces shown
are an endcut and a slice. The endcut weighs 5.18g and the slice
weighs 3.27g.

The close-up photo of the "?" (question mark) shaped inclusion is the
clearest. I'll try to snap some better photos tomorrow under outside
natural lighting.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/2086-inclusion-3.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/2086-inclusion-1.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/2086-inclusion-2.jpg

Does anyone know what this inclusion might be?

Best regards,

MikeG