[meteorite-list] Radar observations of meteor events

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 18:37:12 -0700

Hi Marc,

Great idea setting up a site with radar data for some of these
orphaned falls. On the Lorton fall, there are also prominent hits
from the Norfolk/Richmond radar at time-tag 22:30:51 (cut angle
0.47 degrees) located between Springfield Forest and Newington,
and the Dover radar at time-tag 22:25:19 (cut angle 0.53 deg)
just west of Fort Belvoir.

The bolide itself was traveling NW to SE at a very steep entry
angle -- about 11 degrees from vertical. (This is based on triangulation
of images of the smoke trail taken from three widely spaced observers.)
I was never able to get a perfect match for all three observers, partly
because the images were cell phone images and therefore a bit blurry.
Suffice to say that the entry angle was steep enough that the exact
flight bearing is not that important. The strewn field (assuming one
was generated) will have an orientation completely dominated by the
high upper atmospheric winds at the time. (At 11-km altitude, the jet
stream was over 90 knots, and even down at 5-km it was over 40 knots.)

--Rob

P.S. Nice abstract at this year's Met. Society meeting, btw, on the
use of NEXRAD for meteorite recovery!