[meteorite-list] meteorite inclusions

From: star_wars_collector at yahoo.com <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 07:46:06 +0000

The enigma stone is awesome, but not too surprising.
A howardite is made up of a certain amount of Eucrite and Diogenite mixed together.

I'm sure that there is likely several stones from howardite falls that might be similar.

The nwa 1929 strewnfield yielded both Eucrite and Howardite stones. Its not too far of a reach to think that there may well be stones that contain both, perhaps all 3 types that make up a howardite from that field.

A step further, I have a Eucrite that has portions that could be howardite, but the overall make up of the tested stone shows it to plot along the Eucrite line due to the total amount of diogenite (or lack of) in the material.

Almahata Sitta seems to be the classic "rubble pile" you read about. A mess of smaller material that has grown to form a larger mass over time.

I am willing to bet that its not uncommon at all to have a variety of material from a single fall. It would just depend on the region of the stone you sample.

I had a stone from the WI fall that had a different matrix then most others - less of the lighter inclusions, more darker material and what looked to be some areas of a mix of the light and dark material. It was not like that the entire stone... when we first started cutting, it looked like the "normal" WI stones.

That's the same thing that happened with my angrite. NWA 6291 is paired with NWA 2999 but looks nothing like it. The first few slices of it looked like what NWA 2999 looks like. Only after those few slices did the awesome anorthite and spinel content start showing up.

Hope everyone is doing good,

Greg C

Sent on the Sprint? Now Network from my BlackBerry?