[meteorite-list] Weird inclusion in NWA 2086 CV3

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:16:24 -0400

Hi Jeff and List,

The color balance in my first set of photos was way off. Here is
another photo showing what the color should look like. This photo is
split, the left shows my original photo, and the right shows a better
representation of what the stones actually look like in person -

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/2086-inclusion.jpg

Here is a photo of some other slices from the same batch. Notice that
the matrix is darker in these pieces.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/2086-slices.jpg

The fragment with the brown "caramel-like" inclusion was the smallest
of the bunch and more weathered than the others. So I am thinking
that there must have been a surface fracture that extended down into
the interior of the stone. Weathering products intruded through this
crack and the brown "inclusion" is probably just a clay-like
replacement mineral. If the brown area was a typical rust stain, then
one would see chondrules and other features under the staining. But
this brown area is not a stain because it flows around the chondrules
and it extends all the way through the matrix. None of this material
had a chance to rust during cutting because it literally went straight
from the saw into a waiting hot oven. It was wet for about 60-90
seconds before it went into the oven.

Well, whatever it is, I'm keeping one slice of it, giving one to my
source, and selling the other two pieces.

5.18g endcut and 3.27g slice are now available to list members for
$10/g with free shipping.

Contact me off-list if interested.

For those who may be wondering - I spoke to my source about it (after
someone emailed me off-list questioning whether or not this material
is actually NWA 2086), and I am satisfied that this material is 2086.

Best regards,

MikeG