[meteorite-list] The most expensive meteorite per gram?

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:01:25 +0200

Don?t forget, folks, that once upon a time, which in fact is not way tooooo long ago (only just a bit more than a decade or so right now) lunar or martian meteorites were simply unavailable on the private market. And when the first lunar, DaG 262, was available from the sawblade of the finder, the price even for saw dust was absolutely unpayable, and then when DaG 400 (some time after) appeared on the market, courtesy of Blaine Reed and through channels of a certain German gentleman, if I remember correctly, the first asking price was very high up somewhere in the 20-thousands-range dollars a gram.

Listees, don?t forget - we live in "golden times" with those planetary meteorites and other rare stuff even today, while prices are clearly increasing now for top Lunars or Martians, and the other rare ones, as people get more interested in meteorites but supply, on the other hand, is limited.

P.S.: I still remember, how difficult it was for a type collector to get even an LL4 in the old, pre-NWA-days, e.g. in the mid-Ninetees! Some of my colleagues, who have been in the hobby for an even longer time than me, may second what I said. The NWA rush has changed it all ever since, and I do not hesitate to add: at good terms for both the private collector and the scientist! Though there seem to be other lines of thought here and there now, fired by the media...

Just a few quick comments from an old hound in the hobby.
Alex
Berlin/Germany

-------- Original-Nachricht --------