[meteorite-list] The most expensive meteorite per gram?

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:02:59 -0700 (PDT)

It does depend a lot on size. I remember a 4 milligram speck of NWA 011 selling
for over $500.00 when only 58 milligrams was available. This is would
extrapolate to a mere $125,000.00 gram. The only other meteorite I think to
beat this price was Calcalong Creek which could at one time be had for much less
and only in milligram sized specimens.

It depends on how much is put on the market at any given time. I only managed
to get around $10,000.00/gram for Calcalong creek after offering very small
fragments for several weeks. It started out high and then decreased each week
in a thin market until my supply was exhausted. Now, I cannot get any more now
matter how hard I try.

In larger sizes over a gram, lunar is and will always be king according to the
Smithsonian Magazine, Mining for Meteorites. If all of ALH84001 or Chassigny
were to be released at once, I doubt they could maintain record setting prices
for very long. Most collectors would be satisfied with sub-gram pieces because
the material is similar throughout meaning a larger piece would not provide much
more variety of clasts than a small one. Lunaites, on the other hand, are
highly variable, much more aesthetically pleasing and display a wider array of
characteristics. People seem to relate more to the Moon, have admired it since
ancient times and do not have to be into meteorites to desire a piece. You have
heard the saying, " I would giver here the Moon if I could."

Best Regards,

Adam